Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Better Late Then Never....

Today I took Karsyn to her first eye exam, and I had my eyes checked too.   Generally they like to see babies during their first year of life, in the Infantsee program (which is free if they are in the age range).  I took Syd when she was about 9 months or so.  Karsyn's 2 1/2...well beyond the 12 month cut off for the Infantsee program!  Well better late then never right??  So like the Dentist appointment I wasn't sure how she'd do, so we thought it would be best if I go first and let her see how it is.  Being I am not a fan of going to the eye doctor, I put on my brave face and let her see its really not a big deal.  (really I hate it more that than going to the dentist)  She sat on my lap and watched everything very closely.  Then it was her turn.  They had me put an eye patch on her so they could check one eye at a time.  She did well with that and matched most of the pictures they showed her.  By this time she wanted to be in the chair by herself and be a "big girl".  Then the sneaky Doctor dilated her eyes without her or I knowing what was happening.  She used a spray instead of drop...weird.  She first sprayed it in her hand so she could feel what it was going to be like.  Then sprayed each eye quickly and had Karsyn rub her eyes to make sure it got in her eyes.  Takes about 15-20 minutes for eyes to dilate so off to the waiting room for a snack and check out the toys.  When the doctor called us back to check her eyes she told me something I wasn't expecting....  Can't remember all the eye lingo exactly but Karsyn's eyes are at "zero", she usually sees kids having a "plus" (farsighted) or "minus" (nearsighted) and then as they grow it self corrects to become "zero".  Since Karsyn is already at "zero", the Doctor says its likely Karsyn will need glasses later (like 1st or 2nd grade).  Of course my husband says, "So Karsyn got your eyes, huh?"  Yep, its looking that way.  The Doctor did say its possible she might not need them, each kid is different and we'll just have to see.  So she wants to see her before Kindergarten and go from there.




No comments:

Post a Comment