Today was an unexpected day of emotions for me. I found out yesterday that Sydney was chosen as the STAR student of her kindergarten class for the month of September! Which stands for:
Star Students
Try Harder,
Act Christ-like, and are
Rresponsible and Respectful.
I got an email yesterday explaining that Sydney was chosen and that the awards were to be given out during Wednesday's school mass. She apologised for the short notice and said she thought it was next Wednesday's mass. First of all I panicked because our family is short a vehicle and I had to rely on my husband to pick Karsyn and I up and get us there...if we had any chance of making it. So...it actually worked out!! Patrick, Karsyn and I made it for mass and got to see her get her award. Mrs. Titus (her teacher) explained in the email that it was a surprise for Sydney but if I wanted to prepare her and tell her I could....well.... I didn't and turns out I should have... She had to stand in front of the church with the other STAR students while the principal handed out the awards and shook their hands. (Yes I cried a bit) She made it up there (after a bit) and looked fine and and the same time so small standing up there with the older kids.
After mass Patrick and I decided to hang around and say hi to her and give her a hug. I noticed that she looked worried and as she got closer to us I could tell she had been crying and then she started crying when she hugged me...Mrs. Titus said if we wanted to walk her back over to school we could and lunch would be in 5-6 minutes. Ok, so we walked her back and she stopped crying and was fine...or so it seemed. When I tried to leave she wouldn't let go of my arm and got upset again. Thankfully, Mrs. Titus came over and she was ok with that and we were able to leave. Talk about break my heart!!
Sydney is one who needs to be prepared for things. Every night (and I mean every SINGLE night) she asks what we are doing the next day and wants exact details. So seeing us in church was a surprise, going up in front of church was a surprise and then having to say good bye to us was just a bit much for my
little big girl. Now I have to wait until she gets off the bus to snuggle her and talk to her about her big day. Needless to say....I have learned my lesson....
No comments:
Post a Comment