Monday, May 9, 2011

Mother's Day

So yesterday was Mother's Day.  It's a day where Mom's are supposed to be celebrated and pampered,  NO cooking, cleaning or laundry.  Usually, Mother's Day falls on MN fishing opener and my husband is living in his boat all weekend.  Not much pampering goes on when that happens, plus my kids are too little to realise what the day is about and it ends up being just a normal day for me. Every few years or so they fall on different weekends and this year was one of those years. 

Saturday morning the kids wake up (not too early like 6:30/7ish).  As soon as my girls wake up they want to eat (or they think they'll die).  So I start breakfast (pancakes, sausage & eggs), while Patrick snoozes for a bit longer.  Just a soon as I finish cooking Patrick comes walking out and sits down with us and eats.  After we finish he heads into the bathroom to give himself a haircut and take a shower.  I clean up breakfast, give the girls a bath, all by the time he's done with that.  He heads off to work....   It then dawns on me....that's what I want for Mother's Day!  I want to sleep in, have breakfast made for me, take a shower and find all the mess is cleaned up!  Because lets face it taking the whole day off of cooking and cleaning just isn't realistic for me.  So later that night I tell Patrick my "dream Mother's Day".   I want to sleep in, have breakfast made for me, have breakfast mess cleaned up by the time I'm done with my shower.  Just like he had Saturday a normal (not Father's Day) day....he doesn't say anything about it and we go to sleep. 

Sunday morning the kids wake up (early 5:50).  Are you kidding me!!  I thought for sure Patrick would not get up and my "dream Mother's Day" was not happening.  I was pleasantly surprised as he got up with them and did his best to keep them out of the bedroom. They did make a few attempts at coming in and trying to wake me up, but soon gave up as I heard stern orders from Patrick to let mommy rest.  I fell back asleep and woke at 7:20 with the house quiet and made my way out to the kitchen, to find the girls making  me Mother's Day cards.  I also smelled a lingering hint of burntness in the air, windows and patio door open.  As some of you may know my husband isn't a multitasker to say the least.  Whenever he cooks something always gets a little burnt. :)  I ate my french toast and burnt potatoes (with lots of ketchup) happily.  I did end up cleaning up a bit after breakfast, as I am a little anal about my kitchen cleanliness. :)   It was a wonderful start to a great Mother's Day! 

Mother's Day is a bittersweet holiday for me.  Of all the holidays in the year Mother's Day is by far the hardest to get through.  I spend quite a bit of time thinking of my mother who passed away a couple years ago.  Wondering if she knew what a great mom she was and if I told her that enough.  I don't think a person could ever tell their mom that enough.  Everyday you have with your mother is precious, make sure you tell her how special she is to you, because one day you'll be wishing heaven had a phone.....

No comments:

Post a Comment