Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Post Love and Logic

So last thursday Patrick and I took a Love and Logic class, which was great.  The speaker Dr. Charles Fay was hilarious.  Patrick even had fun. =)  After a few days of implementing just a few of the strategies, they have made a huge change.  The girls are responding well and mommy is very happy.  The hardest part is figuring how and when to use the information.  To read more on it go to http://www.loveandlogic.com/ .  I am looking forward to the girls misbehaving so I can use what I've learned.  I just hope when they misbehave I know what to do!  =)  Its been great not having to repeat myself as much because they are learning to listen the first time.

A few Love and Logic tips:

*No warnings, set limits without anger, lectures or threats. 
*Hand the problems children cause back to them in loving ways.  Use empathy, "This is so sad", "Oh man.  Thats too bad", "What a bummer", etc...  
*Our favorite "The Uh-Oh song".  We are using this on Karsyn.  When she's having a tantrum or not listening we use this.  "Uh-Oh time for a little bedroom time, you may come out when you're sweet".  Put her in her crib and when she is calm/not crying we go get her out.  When getting her out we don't explain what she did wrong just get her out give her a kiss and its done.  (I know it seems weird that you don't exlpain what she did wrong, but it works!! )
*When kids are arguing with you use a "one-liner".  Such as:  "I know", "Love you too much to argue", "Nice try", or make up one that works for you.  The less talking/explaining the parent does the less arguing there is.  (this one is kinda tough but is effective when used consitently) 

There are more but I could go on all day with it so I'll stop now before I bore you to death!  =)

No comments:

Post a Comment