Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Check-ups

It's that time of year, after the girls birthdays, time for well child check-ups.  I made the appointments a couple weeks ago and after a little debating of taking them together or making separate appointments decided to do them together.  Today was the lucky day.  I wasn't sure if Karsyn needed any shots or not but remembered at Sydney's 3 yr check-up that they said she was good until kindergarten.  So she would be easy and even if Karsyn needed a shot it would be fine to have their appointments together. 

I have to always prepare Sydney, so I have been talking about going to the Dr for a couple days now and she asked if she was going to get shots.  I said nope but Karsyn might have to get one.  She was fine with it and was excited to go.  So after Karsyn's class we headed to the clinic.  We are talking with the nurse and she starts out by saying Karsyn is due for her Hep A #2 and a finger prick to check for lead.  OK, she moves on to Sydney saying she's needing a HIB booster that she was supposed to get last year but they were out of....and a PCV 13 a new one....great.  How do I tell my 4 year old that she now has to get TWO shots when I told her she wasn't having ANY.  Yikes!! 

So the Dr comes in and after a little small talk I start asking my questions, one about Sydney's paleness lately and that maybe her iron was low or something.  He says we can check that with a little finger prick.  OK, so now we're up to 2 shots and a finger prick.....  So he leaves and the nurse comes in to give the shots and Sydney's finger prick.  I decide to have Sydney go first because if she sees Karsyn getting a shot and crying to follow I'm going to have a hard time getting Syd to do anything.  The nurse does the finger prick first and Syd did great!  (she watched karsyn get her finger prick earlier and with no crying so that was helpful)  The actual shots went ok, there was crying and tears for both girls but as soon as the nurse mentioned stickers the crying stopped immediately and you could hear a pin drop!  Then there was smiling and giggling, I had a couple of very happy girls.  The affects of the shots showed its ugly face the rest of the day mainly for Sydney.  Karsyn's reaction being a 3 hour nap (the mild reaction).  They gave Sydney her shots in her right arm.  BIG mistake!!  All day she was complaining of her "shots hurting".  She had trouble eating, drinking, going potty, anything she tried doing she needed help with, also very emotional about EVERYTHING.  It made for a very long day.  I do realise that a lot of the "shots hurting" is in her head she just needed some mommy cuddle time, but I felt and do feel so bad for her (considering she was thinking she wasn't getting any shots).  I did question the shots in the arm with the nurse and she said that if they can walk they give the shots in the arm....ok Sydney has been walking since she was 9 1/2 month old and has NEVER had a shot in the arm before.   Karsyn can clearly walk and the nurse gave her shot in the leg just after telling me that.  Not the end of the world, I just think I'm a little irritated that they made a liar out of me about Syd needing shots.  Oh, well......         

No comments:

Post a Comment